FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)-Reverend Kevin C. Rhoades, Bishop of Fort Wayne-South Bend says he will release a list of the priests in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend who have committed sexual abuse.
This in response to the Pennsylvania Grand Jury investigation into sexual misconduct by priests of six dioceses in that state.
Bishop Rhoades calls the details of the Grand Jury “equally appalling and heartbreaking.” He offers his support to the victims and their families, saying, “The Church failed you. For that, I apologize.”
Rhoades says that during his tenure as bishop he has released the name of every priest removed from ministry after credible allegations of sexual abuse to a minor. Rhoades says it's important for victims to see the names of their abusers made public.
“It is my hope that by releasing these names, the innocent victims of these horrific and heartbreaking crimes can finally begin the process of healing."
According to a Pennsylvania grand jury report released Tuesday, about 300 Roman Catholic priests in that state molested more than 1,000 children since the 1940s.
- Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend to release names of priests who committed sexual abuse
- Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese names 2 more accused priests
- Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese names 1 more accused priest
- Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend releases names of priests accused of abusing children
- Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne - South Bend opens new museum
- List of accused priests in Fort Wayne - South Bend to be released Tuesday
- South Bend family looking for answers in Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne Metals commits to Electric Works
- Diocese celebrates largest priest ordination class in over 40 years
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins