FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Developers of the Electric Works project approached the Allen County Council Thursday morning to answer questions, and try to secure more funding for the project.
Last week FOX 55 told you about the mayor's plan to ask the county for the $12 million still needed to start the first phase of the redevelopment, but the council said they still have questions, and need time to discuss additional funding.
It would cost $30 million to level the buildings on the property, and leave it as an empty lot, but the developer, Kevan Biggs, said that would be a wasted opportunity.
"We're now working hard to communicate with the rest of the public bodies in the community to help come up with the remaining monies that are needed to fill the gap and move this project forward," Biggs said.
Council members said they have concerns before they can move forward.
"This, obviously is a big impact for the community of Fort Wayne, but also we want to understand the impact to the overall county as well," said Tom Harris, county councilman, second district.
Councilmen who spoke to FOX 55 said they aren't against the project, but they want to be sure about what they're getting into.
"As far as dollars and cents, I think that we really need to have that discussion to figure out how that's going to happen, if it does happen," said Justin Busch, county council vice president.
But, Biggs said any money they can contribute would help, even if they don't give the full $12 million.
"We're happy to sit down with them one on one, or in small groups to answer those questions for them, so they really can feel comfortable about this investment in this project and into Fort Wayne, and the region," he said.
There's no word yet on when council will have a decision, but they plan to start the conversation this week.