AUBURN, Ind. (WFFT) - DeKalb County is taking steps to launch a Veterans Court.
DeKalb County Prosecutor ClaraMary Winebrenner said the program isn't certified right now, but will serve as a trial period before looking for certification to help save money.
The Veterans Court will offer services from the VA, many free to the county.
Winebrenner the program will help veterans get on the right track.
"The hope is that with a little bit of extra services we can get them back on the track to become a productive member and positive member of our community again. There's a feeling that we kind of owe them these extra efforts. they may not make, and if they don't, they get sentenced just like everyone else," Winebrenner said.
She added she has someone who would be a good candidate, which is why she decided to create the program now.
DeKalb County Circuit Court Judge Kurt Grimm will oversee the Veterans Court.
- DeKalb County creating Veterans Court
- DeKalb County Jail needs repairs
- Car Crash in DeKalb County
- Roundabout planned for DeKalb County
- DeKalb County considering CFO regulations
- Veterans graduate from 'Veterans court' program, celebrate recovery
- Final weekend for DeKalb County corn maze
- DeKalb County justice complex construction delayed
- DeKalb County Community Corrections now using K-9
- Dekalb County police investigate two vehicle crash