The DeKalb County Community Corrections now has a police K-9 in its ranks.
The K-9 previously served as a school resource officer with the sheriff's department.
DeKalb County Community Corrections executive director Kellie Knauer said "I thought this was a great opportunity for us to go into that realm with an experienced handler and experienced dog."
Brownie, and his handler Tim Baker joined DeKalb County Community Corrections from the DeKalb County Sheriff's Department in August after serving four years as a school resource officer at DeKalb Central Schools.
"After 39 years in law enforcement with four different agencies, I decided I'd like to come to community corrections and have a slight change in direction with my career," Baker said.
Brownie is trained to search for six different illegal drugs including heroin and meth, as well as guns.
Community Corrections executive director Kelly Knauer says Brownie will search offices, county's alternative education program for students who are expelled, and homes of people on home detention.
She adds having Brownie on staff will help the center transitions into a new facility that's expected to be built on the county farm.
"He'll be available to do a more thorough search, searching more often than what we've been able to do in the past," said Knauer.
"It will be a whole lot easier for a K-9 to search the facility than 1, 2, 3, or four officers to go through it and search," said Baker.
Adding Brownie to the Community Corrections didn't cost anything because Brownie was already property of DeKalb County.
- DeKalb County Community Corrections now using K-9
- Ground broken on DeKalb community corrections facility
- DeKalb County approves tax hike for Community Corrections
- DeKalb County commissioners looking at community corrections designs
- DeKalb County raising income tax to pay for community corrections facility
- DeKalb County launches mass communication system
- DeKalb County considering CFO regulations
- DeKalb County Jail needs repairs
- DeKalb County creating Veterans Court
- Car Crash in DeKalb County