INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Danica Patrick's racing career ended with a wreck in Turn 2 at the track that made her famous.
Patrick had been running near the middle of the pack in the Indy 500 when she lost control, slid hard into the outside wall, then caromed across the track and hit the inside barrier.
The rest of the field missed Patrick as she came to rest on the infield grass.
Patrick, who shot to prominence by finishing fourth as a rookie in 2005, announced earlier this year that she would step away from racing after the Indy 500. The race capped her "Danica Double," which began at the Daytona 500, where she also crashed out well short of the finish.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Danica Patrick crashes out of final race at Indy 500
- Call center adding 500 new jobs
- '500 Festival' princesses visit local dairy farm
- Run for the Fallen honors soldiers from Fort Wayne to Indy
- Doorbell security alert helps couple escape house fire on Indy’s east side
- Ford invests $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian
- Dow and S&P 500 hit new record highs
- Use of HIV prevention pill, PrEP, rises 500%, report says
- Deer Park hosts 20th annual St. Patrick's party