FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Fire crews were on the scene of a fire at Unity Worship Center, located at the intersection of Baxter and Holton Avenune in Fort Wayne.
The Fort Wayne Fire Department and the police department responded to the scene Monday morning before 10:30 a.m.
Members of the church said the church has been located at 4101 Holton Avenue for 3 years.
The fire extended to both levels of Unity Worship Center causing heavy damage.
Loretta Masterson and Jackie Wright were among other members who stood outside and watched crews put out the flames at their church home.
The members started the church 10 years ago.
"We're known as the small church with a big heart," Wright said.
Pastor Joey Simpson stood with members as well still able to find hope in midst of it all.
"It could have been Sunday, yesterday we would have been in there, or it could have been one of those days where I stayed until one o'clock. I could have been in there so God knows best. It's all in His hands so we're going to keep the faith and let God do what He does," Simpson said.
No one was inside at the time of the fire and the cause of it is unknown.
- Crews battle fire at Unity Worship Center
- Unity Worship Center finds new home after fire
- Crews battle Lima Road bar fire
- Buddhist temple opens for worship
- New Covenant Worship Center breaks ground for new facility
- 35th Annual MLK Unity Day Celebration at Grand Wayne
- Toxic smoke filling air as crews battle massive fire at bubble wrap facility in Kentland
- Firefighters battle business fire near downtown
- Firefighter hurt battling early morning business fire
- Fort Wayne Fire Department battles fire on Third Street