ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WFFT) - Many kids are walking to and from school in Fort Wayne since Fort Wayne Community Schools created no transportation zones around each of its schools.
That zone is a two mile radius from each high school, including Wayne, which is the only FWCS school outside city limits.
"I just think it is a danger. I think it's awful," said Matt West, who's daughte will be a freshman at Wayne next year.
Kids walking to and from Wayne are forced to walk on the roads because there are no sidewalks.
The Allen County highway department told FOX 55 there won't be any sidewalks any time soon.
That has parents like West upset.
"I think the city is doing well, everyone is working, we have jobs. I think there is enough money they can come up with to put sidewalks to this school," he said.
Wayne High School is visible from West's front porch.
But he's not letting his daughter walk to school because there are no sidewalks.
"We already made arraignments, she (my wife) would be driving her to school. We won't let her walk," West said.
Fort Wayne Community Schools does have sidewalks around Wayne High School on its property, but those end at the property line. So kids then have to cross a ditch to get to the busy road.
"Obviously that is not an ideal situation where we don't have sidewalks out there," said FWCS spokeswoman Krista Stockman.
Stockman said the school has met with the city and county about improving sidewalks.
This city is using a portion on the local income tax to fix many inside the city.
Stockman said conversations with the county have stalled.
In the meantime, she said the only thing the district can do is educate drivers.
"We ask drivers to be aware, to watch out for students," Stockman said.
"Everything is based around our children. They are up and coming so lets make sure they are safe. Lets get them through school," said West.
Stockman said FWCS is open to conversations to help improve student saftey around any school.
- County has no plans for sidewalks around Wayne High School
- SACS planning to replace Homestead High School
- Police investigating man found unresponsive on sidewalk
- Changes could come to Jefferson Pointe sidewalks
- Fort Wayne Arts United Center restoration plans
- IU Health planning Fort Wayne expansion
- Sidewalks covered in snow could result in fines
- People reminded to shovel sidewalks as winter storm approaches
- Residents turn to Go Fund Me for sidewalk program
- Indiana University Health confirms plan to come to Fort Wayne