ARGOS, Ind. (AP) - A coroner has identified an Indiana boy who was killed when a flatbed truck collided with a school bus carrying students on a field trip.
Marshall County Coroner John Grolich says 13-year-old Owen Abbott of Winimac was pronounced dead at the scene after the truck rear-ended the bus on Wednesday about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of South Bend. An autopsy is planned for Thursday.
The bus was carrying 38 students and three chaperones from the Eastern Pulaski school district to see a Christmas musical.
Investigators say the bus had stopped at a rail crossing and was beginning to accelerate when it was hit from behind by the truck.
Indiana State Police Sgt. Ted Bohner says prosecutors will review crash investigators' final report to determine if the truck's driver will face charges.
A 14-year-old boy injured in the crash was released from a hospital Wednesday.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Coroner ID's Indiana boy killed in school bus crash
- Coroner IDs 18-year-old killed at Villa Capri Apartments
- Coroner identifies two people killed in crash Sunday
- 1 student killed when truck collides with Indiana school bus
- Coroner identifies victims of weekend motorcycle crash
- Coroner identifies shooting victim
- Allen County Coroner: 5-month-old boy's death is a homicide
- Coroner identifies Fort Wayne man killed in stabbing
- Coroner identifies man who died in rollover crash near Markle
- Coroner identifies man who died in Wednesday morning crash