FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) – Construction to add around 225 parking spaces to the Civic Center Parking Garage, 100 E. Washington Blvd., will cause lane restrictions on downtown streets for the next eight months.
Beginning Monday, Aug. 12 Jefferson Boulevard will be reduced to two lanes between Calhoun and Clinton streets through April 2020.
Calhoun’s northbound lane between Jefferson Boulevard and the west entrance to the garage will be closed from Oct. 14 through February 2020.
“This will undoubtedly cause frustration for motorists,” Redevelopment Director Nancy Townsend said. "However, it is absolutely necessary to maintain a safe worksite at all times so while that is and will remain the priority, we will work to minimize the disruption to vehicular and pedestrian traffic as much possible."
The Civic Center Parking Garage was originally built in the 1980s with the option to expand.
The City’s partners and downtown businesses have said there is a critical need for more spaces for drivers who do not have long-term leases.
During weekdays, the garage is often full because of various events taking place at downtown locations.
Construction manager MKS will oversee the work to add two additional floors to the garage, which will accommodate anywhere from 225 to 230 additional spaces.
- Civic Center Parking Garage expansion begins Monday
- Fire destroys garage
- Manchester University announces expansion
- City wants to add parking spaces to downtown garage
- Park Center highlights new addition
- State Road 101 construction begins Monday
- FWA getting ready for expansion
- Dupont Hospital to unveil expansion
- Park Center opens "one stop shop"
- Weisser Park youth center holds Kwanzaa celebration