ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WFFT)- East Allen County is expected to have some new projects completed to breathe new life into the area.
County commissioners approved $4.2 million dollars Friday morning for the group, New Allen Alliance.
Through the group, president Kent Castleman, has helped push for funding.
"We started working on our strategic planning in 2014 to move the communities forward," Castleman said.
The goal is to fix up downtown areas, sidewalks, parks, and trails. It's all a part of a four year plan with a price tag of nearly $51 million.
Allen County Commissioner, Nelson Peters, said they moved to approve the funding because fixing up one part of the county, will benefit a larger area, making it a better place to live, work, and play.
"As we strengthen Allen County, northeastern Indiana strengthens and allows us to compete on a global basis in a lot more effective way," Peters said.
Of the seven communities with projects in the works, some of them have already committed money to the projects, including Leo-Cedarville, Woodburn, and New Haven.
Castleman said the project he's most looking forward to is the eight miles of trails that will connect Metea Park to Hurshtown Reservoir.
"The eight mile trail will just provide a great destination for not only local residents there, but also tourists and other people in the region," he said.
New Allen Alliance will find out if they were awarded the state funding they need in December.
"If we're not awarded the state designation, a lot of the projects that we put forth would be able to be completed, but instead of a four year time frame, we'd probably be looking at a 10-12 year time frame," Castleman said.
- Commissioners approve $4.2 million for east Allen County revival
- East Allen County Schools hiring
- East Allen County Schools focus on safety
- East Allen County Schools considers safety changes
- County commissioners approve development along Schwartz Road
- Allen County's innkeeper's tax increase approved
- Allen County Commissioners to hold hearings about bridge tax increase
- Allen County commissioners vote to ban swingers clubs
- Allen County among top counties in Indiana for mortgage approvals
- Allen County Health Commissioner comments on TB case at the Rescue Mission