If you commute to work or school on State Road 930 and Coldwater Road, you may see a delay next week. That's because construction to add 3 new turn lanes will start.
"It's a mobility project, it's one of the busiest intersections in Fort Wayne and this will increase the mobility and get through the intersection in a relative time, " said Indiana Department of Transportation Media Relations Director Nichole Thomas.
Work is expected to start Monday April 2. Traffic on Coldwater Road will shift to the right. The left turn lane will be temporarily closed.
According to INDOT, here are the areas that get new turn lanes:
- A new right turn lane from westbound S.R. 930/Coliseum Boulevard to northbound Coldwater Road
- An added left turn lane from westbound S.R. 930/Coliseum Boulevard to southbound Coldwater Road
- An added left turn lane from eastbound S.R. 930/Coliseum Boulevard to northbound Coldwater Road
For people who live near the intersection, they say it's a necessary evil.
"It's really confusing, and it's super backed up and it takes you 10 times longer to get somewhere than it used to," said Kaylee McCann.
"I don't know if the new construction makes a big difference, because I feel like it's just gotten worse since they've put in the medians," said Amanda Luedeke.
The project intends to clear up congestion at the intersection, but Luedeke says she hasn't noticed a difference since the last time there was construction.
"I'm interested to see if this will actually see improve how things will go. I've noticed a lot of backups along Coldwater with the new medians and it's affecting lane flow," said Luedeke.
Thomas says it's important for drivers to slow down and be aware of their surroundings when in a construction zone.
"3 out of 4 fatalities in a work zone are actually the driver and not the workers, so this is just as important to drivers as it is to our construction workers."
The project is expected to be finished in late fall. Other projects around Fort Wayne will start April 2, and will include the resurfacing of 6 miles of U.S. 27 in downtown Fort Wayne.
- Intersection of Coldwater Road and Coliseum Boulevard to get new turn lanes
- New turn lanes causing confusion for drivers on Coldwater Road
- Coldwater Road receives statewide award
- Fatal crash near Coldwater Road and Laddie Lane
- Work to resume on pedestrian bridge over Coliseum Boulevard
- Man hurt after getting hit by car on Coldwater Road
- Victim of Coldwater road auto accident has been identified
- State Boulevard reopens
- Realignment of State Boulevard begins
- Shipshewana on the Road comes to the Coliseum