FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- 60-year-old Orlando Fernandez was a husband, a father, and a grandfather. He was also good friends with Bob Andorfer.
Andorfer sat down with FOX 55 Friday and opened up about the life and loss of his friend.
"He came here with his parents from Cuba. He fled Castro's Cuba, and they lived in Mexico for a while before coming to Fort Wayne," Andorfer said.
Fernandez became a U.S. citizen as a teenager, and Andorfer said that was something he was proud of.
Six weeks ago, Andorfer celebrated Orlando's 60th birthday with his family and friends. The two were also planning a fishing trip.
"They took a good man away from us way too soon," Andorfer said.
That fishing trip would never come.
On Wednesday, Orlando Fernandez was involved in a road rage incident on U.S. 30. He pulled off the road with an unknown person and was badly beaten.
On the way to the hospital, he had a heart attack and died. His death was ruled a homicide, and police are still looking for the person responsible. They believe the person was driving a pick-up truck.
"It just doesn't make sense that this would happen, but as to what actually transpired on that roadside, I don't know that we'll ever know for sure," Andorfer said.
But he said he doesn't want this one incident to define Orlando's entire life.
"He was much more than this one event, and I would hate to see that be the way people remembered him, because for the rest of us, he was so much more," he said.
Andorfer said he knows someone saw something, and he hopes someone will come forward.
And to Orlando Fernandez's killer he had this to say: "Step up, turn yourself in, and let the process follow as it should. Let the legal process follow."
If you know anything about what happened to Orlando Fernandez, you're urged to contact Crime Stoppers at 436-STOP.
- Close friend of road rage victim, 'He was so much more.'
- Friends mourn motorcycle crash victim
- Road rage incident causes three vehicle crash
- Man dead after road rage incident
- Trial rescheduled for road rage incident
- Murder Victim's Friend Talks to WFFT
- Family and friends honor Meijer shooting victim
- Friends of motorcycle crash victims hold fundraiser
- Charges filed in U.S. 30 road rage incident
- Road rage suspect, Brandon Cook, arrested in Florida