City Council is asking to hold off for a little bit when it comes to talking about the trash problem.
Trash barrels lined a Fort Wayne neighborhood waiting to be emptied Tuesday afternoon. Trash not being picked up by Red River Waste Solutions continues to be a problem in the city.
Councilman Russ Jehl says the situation is frustrating.
"We are five months into this. You know, as a kid it only took a few days to learn a paper route. So we're not talking about things that can't be learned in five months. And at this point the fact that most of the complaints have to do with the quality of work itself is problematic."
"What do they do? What do constituents do? They've been calling for months, their cans are left on the side, they don't know when trash is going to be picked up if it's missed. I don't know to tell them at this point."
Jehl says that the council does want to hear from Red River and the administration. He says the council wants to hear what's being done to meet the quality standards and making sure trash is getting picked up. Otherwise Jehl says some action needs to be taken--all in hopes of correcting the problem for you, the rate payers.
"Do whatever it takes, or, if we need to lawyer up, start collecting fines to lawyer up. One way or the other there needs to be a plan to get the service up to where it needs to be," says Jehl.
The City Council administrator tells WFFT that the presentation with Red River and city administration should take place on June 19. Also, there won't be trash collection on Monday because of Memorial Day. The entire schedule will be pushed back by a day for the whole week.
- City Council addressing trash pickup issues
- City council express frustrations over trash collection
- Council supports $12 trash refund
- City withdraws riverfront contract to address city council concerns
- City addresses council's concerns on North River property
- New trash days aimed at solving collection issues
- City council approves art commission
- New trash days start Monday
- Red River Waste, city plan to announce trash solutions
- City council approves North River property purchase