WABASH COUNTY, Ind. (WFFT) - A child is dead after being trapped in a flooded car Thursday. The accident happened along County Road 925 South in Wabash County just east of State Road 33.
Indiana State Police report that 22 year-old Anthonette Carter of Indianapolis drove her car into a flooded roadway. Carter alleges she missed seeing the road closed sign on the shoulder of the road. The car was then lifted and swept to the northside of the road by the flood waters.
Carter was able to escape the car, but her 2 year-old son, Eric Long, was not, despite her attempts to rescue him.
Indiana State Police divers located the car submerged in about 8 feet of water and once the car was recovered, that's when they were able to find the deceased child.
An investigation into the death is still on-going.
- Child dies after car drives through flooded roadway
- Car drives into liquor store
- Driver ignores flood barricades, drives into sinkhole
- Woman dies after being hit by car
- Indiana toddler dies in hot car
- INDOT: New system streamlines reporting of roadway problems
- Pedestrian finds baby alive in bag along Indiana roadway
- Man dies after trying to drive into an apartment building
- Infant dies after alleged child abuse; man charged with murder
- Child dies after accident at farm in northeastern Indiana