MUNCIE, Ind. (AP) - Central Indiana officials say a 9-year-old boy has died in an early morning fire at his family's Muncie home.
Delaware County's coroner says Vincent Gibbons was pronounced dead at the scene about 5:30 a.m. Thursday in the city about 35 miles northeast of Indianapolis.
Firefighters called to the brick house about 3:45 a.m. found flames inside and were told by neighbors that a family of three, including a child, lived there.
The Star Press reports that during repeated searches inside the smoke-filled building, a ceiling collapsed in its kitchen area. No firefighters were injured.
After a woman arrived at the home and told firefighters her child had been inside, crews eventually found the boy's body in a loft area in the home.
The fire's cause remains under investigation.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Central Indiana boy, 9, dies in overnight house fire
- 3-year-old central Indiana girl dies in hot car
- One person dies in Elyetta Street house fire
- Woman involved in Harrison Street house fire dies
- 2 dead, 1 hurt in northeastern Indiana boarding house fire
- 2 brothers, dog die in northeastern Indiana house fire
- House fire kills 3 children under 12 in southern Indiana
- Indiana man dies in police-involved shooting
- Project planned to widen I-69 section in central Indiana
- Hamilton Community Schools superintendent takes job in central Indiana