FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- At first glance it looks like there's nothing wrong with apartment 5602 in Canterbury Green Apartment Complex. But once you take a closer look, you'll see a sign declaring the apartment complex condemned. Around 11:30 p.m. Thursday night, neighbors woke up to seeing smoke coming from apartment 5602.
"The whole building was just like- you could see the smoke coming out and you could see everybody rush outside," said resident Vaughn Treppa.
The fire started in one apartment but spread to 8 to 12 others, causing extensive fire water and smoke damage to them all, displacing about a dozen people.
Linda Bowman lives in the complex next to the condemned one and says her complex has heavy smoke.
"I feel like I sat around a fire for 2 to 3 hours. My eyes are kind of burning but I'll be play. Basically has smoke damage and our bathrooms smell like a campfire," said Bowman.
Bowman was temporarily relocated with some the other displaced tenants from 5602.
"A couple from the people from my entrance way and everyone from 5602. Some people chose not to go and chose to stay with family and friends," said Bowman.
Canterbury Green staff has now relocated all of the affected occupants.
"I think they should put them up for as long as it takes completely free of the resident's charge. They should pay for everything," said Treppa.
Although people have lost their homes, both Treppa and Bowman say they're happy no one was hurt.
"Everything is going to be okay, " said Bowman.
"It's definitely kind of scary, but everyone made it out and I guess that's what really matters at the end of the day, " said Treppa.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Canterbury Green apartment catches fire causing heavy damage
- Stubborn fire damages several apartments at Canterbury Green
- Apartment fire causes heavy damage to kitchen
- Residents deal with aftermath of Canterbury Green apartment fire
- Five escape apartment fire
- Plating company catches fire Tuesday
- Home damaged after fire
- Storms caused widespread damage in Silver Lake
- One person escapes apartment fire
- Residents evacuate apartment fire Thursday