Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- While the Promenade Park construction comes from grants and pledges from many sources, no endowment was set up to help the park into the future- until now.
"Our foundation has about $10 million much of it dedicated to various parts already, so we don't have much discretionary funds available," Fort Wayne Park Foundation chairperson Rick Phillips said
Determined to see the project through, the Parks Foundation realized the opportunity to make this a community effort.
"Today was dedicated just to Promenade Park and the endowment to maintain and support that, and another one would be what we call "Build The Future" where we'll be able to maintain the 86 other parks."
The foundation provided money for projects and programs in several parks since being established.
The Park Foundation and The Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne raised over a million dollars for the pavilion.
This time the foundation created a website for donations. It's something they haven't done before. They're giving donors a chance for their names to be engraved.
"If you donate anything over $500 then your name gets put on the seat walls, etched in the steps going up, so your name will be always there," Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation director Steve McDaniel said.
Work began last year to develop the $20 million Promenade Park.
McDaniel said construction is going extremely well.
" We're still working in the river. We're building the dock system on the northside and piers for our canopy trail. The dock on the southside is wrapping up. I don't want to say it's complete, but it's wrapping up,"he explained.
Promenade Park is located on the St. Mary's River.
The property will focus on water activities and other recreational opportunities.
The park is expected to open next year in the summer.
To donate, you can visit this website : https://fwparkfoundation.org/
- Campaign for Promenade Park announced
- Promenade Parking Posing Problems
- Promenade Park set to open
- Promenade Park construction still on time
- Promenade Park opening delayed until August
- People enjoy Promenade Park's grand opening weekend
- Promenade Park designed to help handle flooding
- Fort Wayne Parks Foundation creating legacy endowment for Promenade Park
- Fort Wayne unveils sculpture at Promenade Park entrance
- Fort Wayne's Promenade Park now open with three day celebration