FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Broken furnaces have one local business working overtime.
Dale Hurbert with Doc Dancer Inc. said they've been busy all through the weekend until now.
With temperatures in the single digits, Dale said the crew has seen everything from broken blower wheels to circuit boards needing to be replaced.
With a high percentage efficient furnace, these problems are less likely.
"If you have an 80% efficient furnace that has a metal pipe that comes off the top, what 80% means is that box makes 100% heat. You get to use and enjoy 80% of the heat that it makes. 20% goes out to waste," Hurbert said.
You also pay for that 20%. He recommends putting in a higher efficiency furnace so you get everything you pay for.
If you're looking for a way out of replacing and fixing the furnace, you may want to scratch out using a space heater.
"It is very expensive to run a space heater. It may be a cheap alternative for a day or so," he added.
Hubert suggests making the investment because it could save you a lot of money in the long run.
The last thing you want to do is wait until it's too late.
"As long as the furnace is providing heat, the air conditioning is providing cooling, they're not worried about it. Once it stops doing that, then all of a sudden, it's a big emergency, and guess what? Furnaces go out when it's really cold outside."
Be sure to check your filters and keep your home clean because it helps your system run smoother.
- Broken furnaces have one local business working overtime
- Ground broken on Pufferbelly trail
- Ground broken on new hotel
- Ground broken on DeKalb community corrections facility
- Local business provides free holiday dinner
- Howe Military closure could affect local businesses
- Bishop Dwenger claims 4A state title in four overtimes
- Local couple turns love of wood carving into business
- ACA regulation on pizza could affect local businesses
- Local organization working toward justice holds first meeting