EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Authorities say a young boy watching fireworks in Indiana was rescued after failing more than 20 feet into a water-filled drain pipe.
A crowd watched as rescuers in Evansville lowered a swing-set seat into the pipe and pulled him up Thursday night. The boy was not injured besides cuts and scrapes, and that he was talking the entire time.
It's unclear how the boy fell into the drain, which had a lid. Mark Mastison of the Evansville Fire Department says lowering the seat was "plan F." He says his crew "went through A through E already."
Mastison says the rescuers are highly trained.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Boy who fell into Indiana drain rescued during fireworks
- Officers rescue former county commissioner who fell through ice
- Data show Indiana union membership fell 12.5 percent in 2017
- Fire marshal: Indiana fire deaths fell 10 percent in 2017
- Report: Indiana opioid prescriptions fell by 35% since 2013
- When hospitals pour drugs down the drain
- Firework shops now open
- 25,000 fireworks are recalled after a boy loses his hand
- Fireworks cleanup and sales begin
- The top of Indiana Michigan power is getting ready for the fireworks