FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- The planning board voted Thursday afternoon in favor of development along Schwartz Road.
Back on March 15 FOX 55 told you about residents along Schwartz Road and why they're against the proposed 89 lot subdivision and 65 building duplex.
Issues included added traffic to an area heavily populated with Amish people, the effect it could have on property values, and that the development is not cohesive with the homes already in the area.
"We are very upset and disappointed in our planning commission. We feel like they did not really hear the voice of the people," said Janese Latimer-Pierson.
Residents said the board sided with the developers, who left the meeting for a second week before commenting on the issue.
Not every board member voted in favor, though. Among the ones against the development was the commissioner.
"We have faith in our commissioners, because it goes to the commissioners now...I believe they will stand with the people in our community," Latimer-Pierson said.
Another resident, Taryn Willis, said the neighborhood has over 800 signatures on a petition. All of the people who signed are worried about what the project could do to the area.
"What we have around there is primarily owned, mortgaged homes and not rental community. When you introduce rental units like that you introduce a different demographic who isn't necessarily vested in the community like we all are," Willis said.
The proposal now goes to the commissioners for a final decision.
- Board votes in favor of Schwartz Road development, residents continue fight
- Residents fight to save Schwartz Road neighborhood from development
- Schwartz Road residents face flooding issues following development debate
- County commissioners approve development along Schwartz Road
- Proposed Schwartz Road development passes in planning commission
- Subdivision approved for Schwartz Road
- New subdivision proposed for Schwartz Road, residents opposing
- Schwartz Road proposals fail in commissioners meeting
- Amended subdivision proposal for Schwartz Road discussed in planning commission
- Dupont Road seeing development boom