BLUFFTON, Ind. (WFFT) - A Bluffton family is thankful for the outpouring support after a fire destroyed their home.
The fire happened at 119 S. Morgan Street on February 3.
"There was a horrific boom," said Jo Perry, who escaped the fire.
The explosion from the water heater is what destroyed her home.
She described it like a Fourth of July fireworks display.
"That's the boom that went off in there. I don't know how we are alive, they are alive. Other than God," said Perry.
Wednesday, she went back to look at the damage.
She was home with her family when the fire started.
They tried to put the fire out, even carrying a burning mattress out of the house before firefighters arrived.
"You just have no idea how I watched what they had to do that night," she said.
At that moment the community came to help.
Neighbors Perry didn't even know were helping keep kids warm, donating items they didn't even think about.
She said that's what makes Bluffton special.
"That doesn't happen much. There's not another place I'd rather call home than Bluffton," Perry said.
"I don't know what we would do without this community. This community has helped so much," said Sarah Patch, Jo's sister.
Patch, who lives with Perry, said it was rough being back in the house she called home.
Many things were lost in the fire, some can't be replaced.
"Things that I kept from a long time is gone. But you know, that's material things. The thing I'm proud of is I have Joe, Chuck and all those kids," she said.
Now they are trying to say thank you to everyone who helped so far.
If you would like to help out, a fund has been set up at the Ossian State Bank in Bluffton.
- Bluffton family thankful for support after house fire
- Fire at The Pallet Barn in Bluffton
- Silver Alert ended for missing Bluffton man
- New opiate treatment facility opens in Bluffton
- Family safe after house fire
- One person in custody after shooting in Bluffton
- Bluffton Police ID employee who died at Valero ethanol plant
- Family and dog escape house fire
- Family, supporters seek justice for Malakai
- Family thanks paramedics for helping daughter after dog bite