Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind (WFFT)- "It comes down to when you learn about a good deal, you want to tell all your friends," Jerry Vandeveer said.
Once he found out about the $50 heart scans at Parkview Hospital and Lutheran Hospitals without a doctor's referral, he decided everyone should know.
"The idea was to get the message out somehow to everybody, and I thought 'Oh my God how about a billboard?'" he added.
It started with billboards encouraging people to get colonoscopies after he, and his wife got one for the first time.
Keeping his promise to his wife who's no longer living, he's encouraging people to get heart scans.
"My wife and I were gonna retire together, and obviously we can't do that, so the money we put away for retirement, that's what I'm using for the billboards." Vandeveer said. "It started of with my wife being on there alone, and I thought, if we're going to share our retirement together, and the money, I'll be up there with her."
He claims the heart scan to be what he calls a "looking glass" into your future health.
Once he discovered cancer that was removed last week, and that his heart wasn't performing as normal, he wants to save as many lives as he can.
"We've already got 43 billboards in the last 18 months I've put up," he said.
Vandeveer said as long as he can afford to pay for it, he will keep putting billboards up to help the community, so they'll know these resources are available to them.
Here's a link to locations where you can get your heart scan :
- Billboards for heart scans
- SCAN distributes Easter baskets
- SCAN collecting Spring baskets Tuesday
- SCAN holds brown bag lunch fundraiser
- New billboard promotes women's empowerment
- Billboard spreads awareness of getting colonoscopy
- Billboards promote stopping for school buses
- Rally being held against marijuana billboard
- SCAN’s 34th Annual Brown Bag Lunch Supports Children and Families in Northern Indiana
- Billboards will tout school bus safety in NE Indiana county