FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- It's feeling a lot like summer so who wouldn't want to ride their bike outside?
"It's the first of May. It's 80 degrees out and it's beautiful, so there's going to be a lot of kids on bicycles. There's also going to be a lot of adults on bicycles,"Officer Treven Brown said.
May also happens to be the beginning of Kickstart Fort Wayne all month long where the community will be celebrating bikes.
Next Wednesday is National Bike to School Day, so with all of these things going on, the police thought it'd be a good time to remind people to be safe on their bicycles... especially kids who ride to school.
"Unfortunately cars don't always see kids especially kids on bicycles. Often kids ride a little faster than they should ducking in and out between cars so we talked about some of those safety things,"Brown said.
Fort Wayne Community School district also teamed up with Parkview Trauma Center to provide the students with helmets.
"They may have bikes at home, but they don't necessarily have helmets, so they don't know all the safety rules that go along with riding bikes. We want to make sure if they are participating, especially in Bike to School Day, that they have that safety equipment. Even if they're not participating, when they go off this summer, and they are out riding that they do know there are safety rules,"Krista Stockman said.
Besides providing the helmets and teaching the students how to travel safely, they want to remind drivers to be patient while sharing the road.
- Bike to School Day preparation takes place at Bloomingdale Elementary School
- Schools preparing for severe weather
- Elementary school celebrates milestone for mentor program
- City Utilities connects to Cedarville Elementary School
- Lakeland delays decision for elementary school closures
- Elementary school principal placed on leave after banning all things Christmas from classrooms
- Schools preparing for new graduation requirements
- Lakeland looking to re-purpose closing elementary schools
- National championship taking place in Fort Wayne
- Angola Balloons Aloft takes place this weekend