FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Signs on the doors of Bentley's Pet Stuff confirm the company is closing all locations in Indiana and Ohio on Sunday.
A former employee said she was told the stores are closing due to a lawsuit.
According to Chicago Business, Bentley's owners were wrapped up on a lawsuit last year when an investor, David Levy, sued businessman Marcus Lemonis, and claimed he bullied Levy to sell his interest in the company.
He also alleged the owners of Bentley's engaged in illegal financial tactics.
Employees would not go on camera citing concern for their severance pay, but they said off camera they were only given a few days notice.
"I hope that they are giving them unemployment or helping them find another job or something because that's just wrong," said Rachael Thomas, who works next door.
Thomas said she's also a customer and is upset and shocked at the news.
"I usually will go next door after I'm off of work and just get treats or get food or whatever. Now, I have to find the time to go to PetSmart," she said.
But Thomas and others shopping at Bentley's Saturday said no other store meets their demand for all natural products.
"It's a little bit more expensive but you're getting quality. You know what you're feeding your dog or your cat or whatever pet you have. Now we're forced to pick and choose because most of the stuff at other stuff has that chicken bi-product," she said.
The closure affects seven stores in Indiana and six in Ohio, but you can still shop online.
All of the items in the stores will be 25% off on Sunday.
- Bentley's Pet Stuff to close all Indiana and Ohio locations allegedly due to lawsuit
- Bentley's Pet Stuff opens on Lima Road
- High Ohio River levels lead southern Indiana casino to close
- Metro Diner location in Fort Wayne closes
- Bandidos to close Glencarin Boulevard location
- Lawsuit challenges constitutionality Indiana's abortion laws
- Police warn of mail thefts in Indiana and Ohio
- Sears and Kmart to close 40 more locations
- Gordmans opens two new locations in Northeast Indiana
- Taylor Street closing due to water main repair