OSSIAN, Ind. (WFFT) - Police have arrested a man in the death of an 18-month-old toddler who was found unresponsive in Ossian on January 7th.
26-year-old Brent C. Scheiber is facing murder, neglect of a dependent resulting in death, and aggravated battery.
Police were called to 513 Greenwood Trail just after 8:00 a.m. January 7th on a report that an 18-month-old baby girl was having trouble breathing.
A probable cause affidavit shows medics found the baby girl on the floor unresponsive.
Scheiber reportedly told investigators he was watching the toddler while her mom was at work.
The girl's mom, Megan Millholland, is a nurse at Parkview. She told FOX 55 off camera, Scheiber was her boyfriend at the time and did not watch the girl often.
Scheiber told police he left her in her crib, and returned to find her on the floor, not breathing properly and stiffening up her legs.
He told police she must have fallen from the crib.
The baby girl was taken to Lutheran Hospital in Fort Wayne. Doctors found bruising on her forehead, a brain bleed, and her frenulum torn.
An ophthalmologist, Dr. Barbara Schroeder, performed a dilated retinal exam and found multiple hemmorhages consistent with, "violent shaking." The doctor said the injury was unlikely to happen from a single fall.
The toddler was taken for surgery, and Dr. Kachmann found a skull fracture consistent with blunt force trauma.
The affidavit said the injury was circular and the size of a fist.
Police obtained a warrant and interviewed Scheiber. During a search of the house, police collected a pillow, sheets, and a portion of carpet that appeared to have blood and vomit on them.
The baby was declared brain dead on January 12th. Her death was ruled a homicide.
Scheiber was the only person in the home with the baby when she was hurt.
- Babysitter charged with murder in toddler's death
- Toddler's death under investigation
- Toddler's death ruled a homicide
- Suspect in toddler's death arrested
- Vanryn not guilty of murder in death of toddler
- Mother charged with neglect in toddler's death appears in court
- Fort Wayne man formally charged in beating death of toddler
- Murder charge filed in Indiana deputy's death
- Brave girl calls 911 and saves babysitter's life
- Remains found believed to be Birmingham toddler reported missing; 2 to be charged with murder