FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A man is behind bars in connection to a 2016 murder.
Quentin Stewart was arrested in Lake County on a warrant Wednesday.
He's accused of killing Codi McCann in December 2016 behind State Bar and Grill.
McCann's mother, Stacey Davis said she was excited when she got the message.
"I acted a fool. The people on the conference call were like 'what is going on with Stacey?'" said Davis.
Court documents show McCann was at the bar while a friend bought pot from a dealer.
When that friend returned, McCann had been shot and killed.
Records show DNA testing on the gun found at the scene linked Stewart to the shooting.
Davis told FOX 55 in July recent DNA advancements gave her hope in finding her son's killer, hope she's hoping other families will hang on to.
"I honestly felt like I was not going to get justice in my case," said Davis.
Now, she's using this experience to help other families regain that hope as a member of Justice, Accountability, and Victim Advocacy (JAVA).
"I look forward to helping other families get justice. It actually has emboldened me," Davis said. "Maybe I can start healing. I haven't even started yet."
Davis said she plans on being in court throughout the case.
"I look forward to the day that Quentin Stewart and my eyes meet in that court room so he can he can see the pain in my eyes," she said.
It's not clear when Stewart will be transferred to Allen County.
- Arrest in 2016 murder brings hope for more families
- DNA advances bring hope to families of homicide victims
- Arrests made in 2016 killings of 8 Ohio family members
- Suspect in 2016 murder appears in court
- 2016 murder suspect found not guilty
- Adoption celebration brings families together
- Lafontaine murder suspect arrested
- Decatur family brings 'movie magic' to community
- Backpacks of Hope bring essentials to Fort Wayne's homeless
- Murder suspect arrested in Mississippi