ANGOLA, Ind. (WFFT)- An Angola man is on the mend after he was saved from a house fire Friday morning.
FOX 55 first told you Friday night crews responded around 8:30 a.m. to 713 Gilmore Street.
John Sutton, the resident of the house, was saved by two people who were working at Quality Glass across the street when a grease fire broke out.
Trevor Adams and Dorethy Crocker rushed into the burning house and pulled Sutton to safety, meeting two police officers at the door on the way out.
“I say they’re heroes...If we didn’t have them, we would’ve lost him," said Bill Cummings, a neighbor who saw what happened from his house.
He added, “It’s sad that it happened that way, but he’s lucky to be alive."
Sutton's house can be replaced, but another loss this week can't. Sutton's wife reportedly died of a heart attack Thursday night.
“I knew them because I’d help them out once in a while. I’d have to go over and help him get up off the floor, and stuff like that," Cummings said.
Another neighbor said he had no idea how much Sutton was going through.
“I had not heard that yet, so yeah that is sad to hear," said Neil Fiwek.
While tragedies like this don't normally happen on Gilmore Street, Fiwek said the entire community will come together in the family's time of need.
I’ll do anything I can to help," he said.
Right now, Sutton's condition isn't clear, but Cummings said he is recovering from his injuries.
- Angola man saved from fire lost wife one day before
- Electrical fire damages Angola home
- Fire destroys mobile home in Angola
- Electrical fire destroys Angola mobile home
- Two Angola homes destroyed after car catches fire in garage
- Angola Balloons Aloft takes place this weekend
- Man charged with setting wife on fire
- Gun advocates gather in Angola for 2nd Amendment rights
- Brightpoint plans to create affordable housing in Angola
- Veterans gather to access resources at stand down in Angola