ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WFFT) — Allen County’s plans to replace five bridges over the next five to seven years and will receive federal money to cover construction costs.
The Indiana Department of Transportation awarded the Allen County Highway Department more than $6.6 million in federal funding has been awarded for the projects.
Allen County officials say the federal aid will fund 80% of the construction costs.
INDOT says additional federal funds may become available to help cover engineering and right-of-way acquisition costs.
Two of the five bridge replacement projects are expected to be bid in late 2023 or 2024, with construction occurring 12 to 18 months following the bidding.
- Bluffton Road bridge over the Harbor Ditch just south of Winters Road
- Total estimated cost: $2.4 million
- Monroeville Road bridge over the Hoffman Ditch just west of Fackler Road
- Total estimated cost: $1.7 million
The other three bridge projects are scheduled to be bid in late 2024 or early 2025, with construction taking place 12 to 18 months following the bidding.
- Amber Road bridge over the Little River where Amber intersects with Branning Road
- Total estimated cost: $1.2 million
- Antwerp Road bridge over the Oberhaltzer Ditch on the west edge of Harlan
- Total estimated cost: $1.5 million
- Slusher Road bridge over the Edgerton-Carson Ditch immediately west of Brobst Road
- Total estimated cost: $3.4 million