FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) -- If you have prescription drugs you don’t need anymore, later this week you will have two opportunities to safely dispose of them.
On Friday from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m., the Allen County Sheriff’s Department, in conjunction with the Indiana Sheriff’s Association, is collecting pills only at various Walgreens locations throughout Fort Wayne.
Then on Saturday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., the Indiana State Police will collect pills, liquid prescriptions and vape pens with no batteries at the Fort Wayne post.
It’s an effort to make sure the drugs don’t contaminate the environment or end up in the wrong hands.
ISP Public Information Officer Sgt. Brian Walker said drop offs are anonymous and no-questions-asked.
“All I’ll do … I’ll take your bag of pills or liquids, whatever you have, I don’t ask any questions,” he said. “I just dump them in the box and off you go.”
Walker said last fall the Fort Wayne ISP post collected about 550 pounds of medication in four hours.
Below is a full list of drop-off locations.
Saturday (Walgreens locations):
- 5830 N. Clinton St. at St. Joe Center Road
- 6202 W. Jefferson Blvd. at Getz Road
- 6730 Bluffton Road at Lower Huntington Road
- 330 W. State St. at Wells Street
- 907 Lincoln Highway West at Brookwood (New Haven)
- 10170 Maysville Road at Chapel Ridge
- 1701 E. Paulding Road at South Anthony Blvd.
- 5435 E. Dupont Road at Tonkel Road
- 10211 Chestnut Plaza Drive at Scott Road (Chestnut Hills)
- 11932 Lima Road at Carroll Road
- 10412 Coldwater Road at Dupont Road
- 2410 N. Coliseum Blvd. at East State Street
- 6201 Stellhorn Road at Maplecrest Road
- 110 E. Creighton Ave.
- Lutheran Hospital (Walgreens) 7950 W. Jefferson Blvd.
- Parkview Regional Medical Center 11109 Parkview Plaza Dr.
- Indiana State Police Fort Wayne Post
- 5811 Ellison Road, Fort Wayne