FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Allen County SPCA went to social media asking for donations to help replace the shelters two broken hot water heaters. Within hours they got the help they needed to do so and now they're paying it forward.
"Hot water is crucial to the work that we do at an animal shelter. as you can imagine we have to sanitize a lot. We do a lot of laundry around here so not having hot water is a crisis for us," Executive Director Jessica Henry said.
They were having problems off and on for awhile. Then Sunday came. The water heaters were no good at all.
The only help they could get is the community since they don't receive tax dollars.
"We kept relighting the pilot lights and they just kept going out so eventually they just couldn't go anymore," she said.
The Allen County SPCA only had a goal to raise $6,500, but with the communities help, they raised $10,000.
The shelter is aware that other animal shelters are in need of help too during this time, so now that they have new water heaters, they're extending a helping hand to others taking in 12 dogs from the Jay County Humane Society.
"We are not taking in a ton of strays right now. We have done something to help other shelters especially rural shelters that are overcrowded right now. If they are struggling to keep their animals warm, we are reaching out to them to bring their animals here to the Allen County SPCA to keep them warm and safe from these frigid temperatures as well so it's animal shelters helping other shelters," Henry explained.
The money left over from the donations will go toward other repairs and a new hvac unit for the kittens.
- Allen County SPCA pays it forward
- K9 Fun Run helps Allen County SPCA
- Allen County SPCA donations doubled for #givingTuesday
- Allen County SPCA #givingTuesday effort breaks record
- Allen County SPCA, shelter argue over euthanized dog
- Allen County SPCA holds 3rd annual Howl-O-Ween
- Allen County SPCA urging for pets to stay inside
- Cinco de Mayo at the Allen County SPCA
- UPDATE: Allen County SPCA replacing broken AC after community support
- Allen County SPCA and Cinda B team up for Paws and Purses