FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - There is now a dentist office inside the Allen County Jail.
Jail staff converted an unused office into a room for dental procedures.
The new room has the tools a dentist needs to treat most dental issues within the facility.
Allen County Sheriff David Gladieux said the equipment will prevent the scheduling transportation and staffing issues related to the off-site office visits.
"It's going to keep my officers from having to go to the dentist office, taking an inmate out of the jail and take them to an outside facility. You risk something bad happening," said Sheriff Gladieux
The equipment was paid for with profits from the jail commissary.
That means no tax payer money was used for the new facility.
- Allen County Jail opens dental office for inmates
- Allen County Jail now using video visitation
- Whitley County Jail changing inmate mail screening
- Allen County Prosecutor's Office hosts strangulation training
- Allen County Jail overcrowded, Sheriff fears numbers will increase
- Hazmat situation reported at the Allen County Jail
- Video visitation now an option at Allen County Jail
- East Allen County Schools hiring
- Allen County Fair begins Tuesday
- Allen County Judge Levine retiring