LAOTTO, Ind. (AP) - Authorities say six prisoners and two guards were hurt when a prisoner transport van crashed into a pickup truck on a northeastern Indiana highway.
The DeKalb County sheriff's department says the crash happened Thursday when the truck driver turned in front of the van at the intersection of Indiana 3 and Indiana 205 near the town of LaOtto. The van operated by a private transport company hit a utility pole before stopping in a ditch.
Sheriff's officials say the van driver and the other guard are both from Florida and suffered broken bones. One prisoner had a back injury and the others were treated for pain and cuts. Those hospitalized were in stable condition.
The department didn't release information about where the transport van came from or its destination.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 prisoners, 2 guards injured in transport van crash
- Early morning crash injures two
- Sheriff: Alcohol suspected in 3-car fatal crash in Van Wert
- Plane crash-lands in Van Wert County bean field
- Van Wert seeing tourism boom
- 3 of 4 prisoners who overpowered Ohio jail guards have been captured in North Carolina
- Auburn teenager critically injured in vehicle crash
- Hillville Road crash kills driver, injures passenger
- Four people injured in crash, one critical
- One man dead, another injured in crash