Air Force Gen. Joseph Lengyel called himself out for a uniform-related gaffe Wednesday after discovering that he wore his ribbon rack upside down during President Donald Trump's State of the Union address.
The four-star general and chief of the National Guard was seated alongside the other Joint Chiefs of Staff during Trump's speech Tuesday night but didn't realize he had committed a uniform infraction until photos emerged from the event.
Lengyel then took to social media to acknowledge the mistake.
"Question: What's wrong with this picture? I'll give you a hint...It's why they keep putting eraser on pencils. Answer: The ribbons on my uniform are upside down. Let this be a lesson and don't let it happen to you!" he tweeted.
Lengyel also posted a longer message on Facebook.
"A not-so-funny thing happened on the way to the State of the Union last night. If you look closely, you'll see that the ribbons on my uniform jacket are upside down. How can this possibly happen, you might ask," the post read.
"Well, we're all human, including me. And, as I made a final check in the mirror just before I walked out the door, I missed it... Plain and simple. I hope this is a lesson for everyone who wears the uniform, and really for anyone ...They put erasers on pencils for a reason. When you make a mistake or miss a detail, own it and move on. One thing is for sure...My ribbons will NEVER be upside down again," it added.
- Air Force general calls himself out after uniform gaffe at Trump's speech
- Trump calls for rejection of 'politics of revenge' in speech that jabs Democrats
- 'Coldest air in a generation' hits the Midwest. Officials warn of almost instant frostbite
- Top legislators say no forcing out Indiana attorney general
- United States Air Force Thunderbirds coming back to Fort Wayne for 2019 air show
- Michael Jackson's family calls documentary a 'public lynching'
- A nursing home patient 'rotted to death' under nurses' care, Ohio attorney general says
- 9 things about MLK's speech and the March on Washington
- Trump considering Christie, Bondi for attorney general
- Smokey Robinson calls Jennifer Lopez Motown tribute complainers 'stupid'