DeKALB COUNTY, Ind. (WFFT) - The man accused of shooting a DeKalb County Sheriff's deputy is out of the hospital and behind bars.
Joshua D. Mumma was taken to a hospital for his injuries in the April 10 shooting.
The Indiana State Police said deputy Todd McCormick stopped Mumma for a traffic violation and a K-9 discovered drugs on the car and Mumma was ordered out of the car.
Detectives said the two then got into a fight and Mumma pointed a gun at McCormick. Mumma fired several shots before the fight continued outside the car and onto the ground.
Police said Mumma pointed his gun at Garrett Police Officer Alicia Castro and pulled the trigger, but the gun was empty.
Castro then shot Mumma with her police issued gun.
More than 30 grams of methamphetamine were later found inside of Mumma's vehicle.
DeKalb County Prosecutor ClaraMary Winebrenner said no charges will be filed against the officers.
Both have since returned to work, with McCormick in more of a limited capacity as he continues to recover from his wounds.
Mumma was booked into the DeKalb County Jail on the following charges as filed by Winebrenner:
· Two (2) Counts of Attempted Murder with Firearm Enhancement, Level 1 Felonies
· Dealing in Methamphetamine, Level 2 Felony
· Disarming a Law Enforcement Officer, Level 3 Felony
· Habitual Offender Enhancement
Mumma will be transferred to and incarcerated in the Allen County Jail following the book-in procedures for the DeKalb County Jail. He will be held without bail.
- Suspect in officer-involved shooting out of hospital, behind bars
- Officer-involved shooting in Kendallville
- Investigation continues into FWPD officer involved shooting
- One critically hurt in officer involved shooting
- Two critically hurt in shooting outside bar, suspect arrested
- FWPD officer involved in crash
- Shooting hospitalizes two teens
- North Manchester man dies in officer-involved shooting
- Officer involved shooting reported in Fort Wayne; person critically injured
- Indiana State Police investigating Warsaw officer-involved shooting