DECATUR, Ind. (WFFT)- For the first time since 1966, the people of Decatur can catch a movie in their small town.
"It's kind of amazing because it really was just a doodle on a napkin," said Barb Affolder, co-owner of ABCinema.
It all started when Corey and Barb Affolder tried to catch a movie in Portland last spring.
"We get most of the way there and a tornado warning goes off on our phones, so we turn around and go home. The next night we go back to see a movie again, and they come in at 7:15 for a 7:00 movie and say, 'There's no movie tonight. There's something wrong with our projector," said Corey Affolder, co-owner of ABCinema.
That night, Barb got to thinking, and decided Decatur needed a theatre of its own.
"My wife was driving. We drive past our house, I say, 'where are we going,' She looked at me and said, "We're going to town to put a movie theatre in,'" Corey Affolder said.
Barb sells insurance, and Corey is a realtor in town. So, with a little help from friends, and advice from an architect, they chose a building, and got to planning.
"We wanted to immerse you in the movie magic when you first walk in the door," Corey Affolder said.
The Affolders pride themselves on being unique. They have a variety of concessions, and their popcorn is locally made in Adams County.
The couple said the theatre is giving the people of Decatur somewhere to go, and on opening day, the community was just as excited.
"It's wonderful for kids. I've always taken my daughter to the theatre with me, and it's great to have somewhere that's local where you don't have to drive and go far," said Penny Parrish, a parent.
"If you want to go after school and see a movie it'll be easy," said 14-year-old Lexi Parrish.
If you want to see a movie in Decatur, you can do so Thursday through Sunday for only five dollars.
- Decatur family brings 'movie magic' to community
- Adoption celebration brings families together
- TRIVIA: Holiday Movie Quotes
- Formula for Life 5K brings out community
- Juneteenth Celebration brings the community together
- UAW and GM differences bringing community together
- Batman movies have long history of bringing out fans' batty side
- Warsaw Community Schools bring History to life for 4th graders
- New Haven brunching with Santa brings community together
- DNA advances bring hope to families of homicide victims