FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- A man is in serious condition after an officer involved shooting Friday afternoon in the 3100 block of Elmdale Dr.
"It's sad that something like this happened, but basically its a quiet area. We usually don't experience this," said Hickory Grove Neighborhood Association President Timothy Williams.
Around 4:30 pm, officers responded to reports of a domestic dispute with a possible weapon. When they arrived the officers tried to resolve the situation.
"The suspect, the adult male became aggressive,resisted and fought with officers," said Fort Wayne Police Department Spokesman Chris Felton.
During the fight, officers were knocked to the ground. Felton says the the fight started near the front door.
"We know that officers did shoot. I'm not sure at this point that the suspect shot or not,or what led to the shots being fired."
The suspect was shot and sent to the hospital in serious condition. Two officers were sent to another hospital to be checked out for minor injuries. Williams says despite this incident, the neighborhood is still safe.
"Most of the people I know on this street know each other, we know just what houses are empty and what people move in. We try to be apprised of that. As the president of the association. I like to make sure I'm aware," said Williams.
According to a press release from the Fort Wayne Police Department,"The officers involved in this incident as well as the suspect will be interviewed at the earliest appropriate time."
- Officer involved shooting reported in Fort Wayne; person critically injured
- No charges filed in Fort Wayne officer involved shooting
- One critically hurt in officer involved shooting
- Man injured in Fort Wayne shooting
- Fort Wayne man in critical condition after Euclid Avenue shooting
- Fort Wayne officer under investigation
- Fort Wayne Police investigating shooting
- One person critically hurt after shooting
- One person critically hurt in shooting
- Officer-involved shooting in Kendallville