FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- A joint criminal investigation into a string of armed robberies by the Indiana State Police and numerous state and federal law enforcement agencies, led to the arrest of Rex Hammond, 53, Elkhart, IN. Hammond was incarcerated in the Marshall County Jail, awaiting extradition to Cass County, IN, to face two felony charges for armed robbery.
Tuesday, officers from the Indiana State Police and the Marshall County Sheriff’s Department took Hammond into custody during a traffic stop on U.S. 31 near Plymouth, IN. Hammond was served a Cass County (IN) arrest warrant alleging two felony charges for armed robbery. The charges were the result of an investigation into two separate armed robberies which occurred in Logansport, IN, on September 30, 2017 and October 27, 2017.
Assisting in the investigation were the Auburn Police Department, the Logansport Police Department, the Peru Police Department, the Decatur Indiana Police Department, the Kalamazoo Michigan Police Department, the Portage Michigan Police Department. The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, the Federal Bureau of Investigations. The Marshall County Sheriff’s Department.
The robberies started on September 30th in Peru and Logansport. The suspect then struck a gas station in Auburn on October 9th, and robbed two more locations in Portage, Michigan and Kalamazoo, Michigan the next day.
- Indiana State Police make arrest in string of armed robberies
- Man sentenced for string of bank robberies
- One suspect in string of armed robberies caught; other at large.
- New Haven Police investigate armed robbery
- New Haven police investigating armed robbery
- Police investigating armed robbery at Apple Glen Walmart
- Police investigate armed robbery at St. Joe Blvd. Burger Dairy
- Indiana State Police K9 retires
- Suspect in string of Fort Wayne gas station robberies in court
- Northwestern Indiana police shoot man armed with knife