FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- As the leaves fall, so do the temperatures, and the Indiana Department of Transportation is taking steps to make sure the roads are ready for winter.
"We are basically looking at every nook and cranny, big or small, to find any issue that may present itself before winter," said Nichole Thomas of INDOT.
All over the state INDOT inspected trucks to fix any problems before the flurries fly.
"We've seen snow as early as October, we've seen snow as late as December. So, one of the things we're doing now is route certifying our drivers, getting them prepared so they know what their snow plow route is, where it begins, where it ends, where they turn around," Thomas said.
INDOT said it's all to help Indiana drivers, and there are steps you can take to make their jobs easier, and keep yourself safe.
"Remember how big they are. These are giant, yellow trucks. Just the snow plow blade alone is twelve feet wide by four feet tall. It's 800 pounds, just the blade. So, imagine how big the trucks are. You want to make sure that when you see them out on the road, you give them plenty of room to do their work. You try not to pass them, and if you do pass them, you definitely don't do so on the right because that's where they're going to be pushing the snow," Thomas said.
Some northeast Indiana drivers are also thinking of winter by getting snow tires, breaking out the ice scrapers, and preparing for the unexpected.
"I check all my fluids, make sure I've got antifreeze in there, make sure I've got ice scrapers," said Judith Sizemore, a Kendallville resident.
"I know I've got to get my tires checked, my air pressure on my tires checked, make sure my tires are pressured out right, and definitely every summer I have to rewinterize it, because when it gets really, really cold, you don't want to wait to the last minute to do that," said Billy Robinson, a Fort Wayne resident.
"I'm not really looking forward to the winter, but there's a lot of things we have to do to get prepared for it," Robinson said.
- INDOT prepares for winter roads, encourages drivers
- INDOT preparing for winter, suggests drivers do the same
- City prepares for winter roads
- Drivers prepare for Washington Center Road closure
- Bass Road reopens for Winter
- INDOT launching new semi parking system
- INDOT gets ready for their Winter Weather Prep Week showing off the plows
- INDOT warns drivers to slow down ahead of official start to construction season
- Schools encourage female STEM involvement
- Hillville Road crash kills driver, injures passenger