FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) – The Fort Wayne Police Department is trying to figure out how human remains went unnoticed in a back yard.
The human remains were found by surveyors Tuesday morning in the 6000 block of East Shore Drive in northeast Fort Wayne.
Officers said a partially clothed, decomposed skeleton had been found behind a home.
Police believe the body has been there for a long time, possibly since last summer.
People who live in the neighborhood said they can't believe the remains were found so close to home.
"It was kind of weird because that doesn't happen on this side of town a whole lot," said Andy Mack.
Mack moved into his home in the Shoaff Park River Estates neighborhood earlier this year.
He's just one of many people on his street who said they smelled something decaying over the summer.
"It was a real nasty smell of death. Not a pleasant smell that's for sure. The windows were closed and the air conditioning was on for that week," said Mack.
A survey crew from Donovan Engineering found the remains in brush while they were looking for the corner of a property.
The company's owner said this is the first time crews discovered anything like this while on a job site in the company's history.
Mack said he didn't think anything of the smell.
"I thought it was groundhogs I was shooting at with a pellet gun in my backyard. I thought maybe I killed one of them, it was a big one that just stunk. But apparently not. Apparently it was a human, which is kind of creepy," he said.
Police did recover a wallet with identification in it and the Allen County Coroner's Office will confirm the identity following an autopsy.
The person listed on the ID was never reported missing and is not believed to be associated with the home where the remains were recovered.
However, Mack said he's not worried.
"I'm not worried about safety at all really. I mean I've got my house protected. I have all my legal guns," Mack said.
The case has been turned over to the Allen County Coroner's Office to determine if any criminal activity led to the death.
- Allen County Coroner's Office will investigate human remains found behind Fort Wayne home
- Fort Wayne officer under investigation
- Human remains found in LaGrange County
- Fort Wayne police officer under investigation
- Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health receives $54,000 grant
- Fort Wayne Police investigating shooting
- Coroner identifies Fort Wayne man killed in stabbing
- Human remains found in Auburn identified
- Allen County Coroner’s Office takes new approach to identify body
- Fort Wayne Police investigating Reed Street home invasion