CHANDLER, Ind. (AP) - Authorities say a 4-year-old girl and her father have died in an apparent kayaking accident in southwestern Indiana.
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says Vivian Varner and 33-year-old Joshua Varner of Newburgh were kayaking Thursday evening at Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife Area. A family member called 911 when they didn't return as expected and they were found floating in the water.
The DNR says Joshua Varner was pronounced dead at the scene in Warrick County while Vivian was taken to a hospital and was pronounced dead.
A kayak belonging to them was found capsized in the water. The DNR says they weren't wearing life jackets and it's not immediately known what caused the kayak to capsize.
The deaths are under investigation.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 4-year-old girl, father dead in Indiana kayaking accident
- 16-year-old girl injured in ATV accident
- Ohio man dead after snowmobile accident
- Ohio man dead in auger accident
- Norwell student dead after farming accident
- Indiana Conservation Officers investigate snowmobile accident
- A 4-year-old boy was swept away by floodwaters while playing in Indiana
- Five-month-old girl in coma, father charged with battery
- Eight year old girl dies after BB gun accident
- One dead, three injured in Kosciusko Co. vehicle accident