MERRILLVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Police say a 3-year-old girl accidentally shot and wounded her pregnant mother in a car parked outside a northwestern Indiana thrift store.
The shooting happened Tuesday afternoon in Merrillville as the girl, a 1-year-old boy and her mother waited in the car while the woman's boyfriend was inside the store. Police say the man is the girl's father and apparently left the loaded gun in the car.
The woman was listed in critical but stable condition. Detective Sgt. James Bogner says the girl "had no idea what she had done and she was very scared."
Police say the man was held on suspicion of child endangerment.
The children were placed into protective custody. Police say the couple had traveled to Merrillville from Michigan City to get the woman pregnancy care.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 3-year-old accidentally shoots pregnant mom
- Girl critically hurt in accidental shooting
- A pregnant mother was cited by police after her 3-year-old urinated in a parking lot on his way to the bathroom
- Rescuers were combing the woods when they heard the missing 3-year-old boy call out for his mom
- 3-year-old central Indiana girl dies in hot car
- Inmate accidentally released in Noble County
- Lafayette officer accidentally shot by another as dog rushed
- Fort Wayne police: 2 officers accidentally shot in training
- 'Moms Demand Action' rally against gun violence
- April Tinsley's mom questions suspected killer's motive