Photo Gallery 3 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — Police announced three people were arrested Wednesday afternoon after a shooting on the city's northeast side left two people dead and one in critical condition.
The Fort Wayne Police Department arrested 23-year-old Kyaw Hlang, 20-year-old Kerwins Louis and 23-year-old Jamesley Paul each on two counts of murder and robbery in connection to the early Wednesday shooting that took place on the 2400 block of Barnhart Ave.
SIGN UP FOR BREAKING NEWS ALERTS
- Arrested 1: Kyaw Hlang
- Charges: Felony Murder (two counts), Murder (two counts), Robbery, Warrant Probation Violation Warrant Violation of Reentry Court
- Kerwins Louis
- Charges: Felony Murder (two counts), Robbery and Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Arrested 3: Jamesley Paul
- Charges: Felony Murder (two counts), Robbery
Barnhart Avenue fatal shooting courtesy Joseph Aurich
Detectives say the three suspects were all arrested at different locations without incident.
The two victims names will be released by the Allen County Coroner’s Office after an autopsy is complete and the victim, still in critical condition, will be released after his family is notified.
Neighbors say they have had to call police on the address in the past having to do with domestic issues.
“We don’t think this is domestic-related in itself,” said Sgt. Sofia Rosales-Scatena, Fort Wayne Police Department Public Information Officer. “We are working this as a murder robbery.”
Police say they are approaching the triple-shooting as a stand-alone incident.
“We don't think that this incident is related to any other shootings,” Rosales-Scatena said.
Rosales-Scatena called the shooting a crime of opportunity and believe the weather conditions may have played a role.
“With the inclimate weather, it is not the best time for anyone to be out,” Rosales-Scatena said. “But it does make these kinds of things a little bit easier.”
- 3 arrested in Barnhart Avenue shooting that left 2 dead
- 2 killed, 1 wounded in Barnhart Avenue shooting
- Barnhart Avenue shooting victims identified by Allen County Coroner
- Woman dead after Riverside Avenue shooting
- Bowser Avenue shooting victims identified
- Runnion Avenue shooting victim identified
- Central Avenue shooting victim identified
- Senate Avenue shooting victim identified
- One dead, one stable after Bowser Avenue shooting
- IDENTIFIED: Fort Wayne man dead after Euclid Avenue shooting