CARMEL, Ind. (AP) - An explosion during maintenance on a heater at an Indiana high school has injured a school employee and a contractor.
Carmel Fire Department spokesman Tim Griffin says Wednesday that the workers apparently were relighting the heater on the second floor of Carmel High School when it caused an explosion and fire.
The explosion is believed to have occurred about 6:30 p.m. A mechanical room and part of the roof were damaged.
The injured workers were taken to a hospital. Their conditions were not immediately available.
Griffin said some students were in the school when the explosion occurred. None were hurt and Wednesday evening school activities were canceled.
The school district said students were participating in various practices at the time of the explosion.
Carmel is just north of Indianapolis.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2 workers hurt when heater explodes at Indiana high school
- A house in Indiana exploded, killing one person
- Girl hurt in Indiana school shooting was hit 7 times
- High school student dead, several hurt in crash
- Commercial driver shortage hurting area businesses, schools
- Indiana House passes bill to overhaul high school diplomas
- 2 dead, 1 hurt in northeastern Indiana boarding house fire
- NYPD recalls body cam devices after one explodes
- Space heater causes house fire in first few hours of arctic temperatures
- Moderating the internet is hurting workers. How can companies help them?