VAN WERT, Ohio (WFFT) — The Van Wert County Sheriff's Office is investigating a double fatal crash that occurred on Liberty Union Road at Van Wert Willshire Road on Sunday.
Sheriff Riggenbach said at 4:24 p.m., on Dec. 15 his office received a 911 call about a two-vehicle collision on Liberty Union Road at Van Wert Willshire Road.
A 2009 Ford Fusion, driven by Eric Mwamba, of Lexington, Kentucky, and a 2015 Ford Edge, driven by Cynthia Schumm of Van Wert, Ohio, were involved in the crash.
Investigators say the crash appeared to have happened when the vehicle being driven south bound on Liberty Union Road by Mwamba did not stop at the stop sign and was struck on the passenger side by the vehicle being driven east bound on Van Wert Willshire Road by Schumm.
Riggenbach said both vehicles came to rest on the east side of Liberty Union Road Both, sustained heavy damage and were towed from the scene.
The driver of the Ford Fusion, Eric Mwamba, was transported by helicopter to a local hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The sheriff said both occupants of the Ford Fusion, Eric Mwamba and passanger Laetitia Tchamala died in the crash.
Tchamala was pronounced dead at the scene by the Van Wert County Coroner’s Office.
The investigators say driver of the Ford Edge, Cynthia Schumm, has serious injuries and was transported to a local hospital.
Sheriff Riggenbach said the crash remains under investigation.
- 2 dead and 1 seriously hurt in weekend Van Wert Collision
- Van Wert seeing tourism boom
- Van Wert semi versus car collision kills 1
- Van Wert celebrates War of 1812 veteran
- Van Wert considering charter city option
- Van Wert schools offering student safety hotline
- Van Wert Health gets new baby box
- Remembering black history in Van Wert County
- Van Wert County Auditor's Office under investigation
- Power Outage reported in Van Wert County