GARRETT, Ind. (AP) - Authorities say two people died and a third has been hospitalized after a fire in a northeastern Indiana boarding house.
Garrett Fire Chief Ted Christensen says firefighters arriving on the scene about 12:30 a.m. Monday found heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of a downtown brick building that houses eight rented sleeping rooms on the second floor, known as Hall’s Sleeping Rooms.
Christensen says the fire began in living quarters but the cause remained under investigation.
The names of the persons who died or were injured were not immediately available.
- 2 dead, 1 hurt in northeastern Indiana boarding house fire
- 2 brothers, dog die in northeastern Indiana house fire
- Child dies after accident at farm in northeastern Indiana
- Feds selling former military depot in northeastern Indiana
- Elderly lion dies at northeastern Indiana animal sanctuary
- Man dead after house fire
- Shooting leaves one dead, two seriously hurt
- One dead, one hurt in Waterloo crash
- Three dead, two hurt in Thanksgiving shooting
- One person dead in Huntington house fire