FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Police in Allen County held a memorial service to honor fallen officers Friday morning.
Fifty-three officers have died in the line of duty nationally this year. Most recently, a Terre Haute officer died last week after a shootout. Chief Steve Reed with FWPD said the death of one of the own always hits close to home.
"When an officer makes the ultimate sacrifice, and when we're gathered to remember them, it can be quite emotional," Chief Reed said.
This was the 16th year for the memorial ceremony.
- 16th annual police officer memorial ceremony held
- Ceremony held to honor War of 1812 veteran
- Memorial held for April Tinsley two weeks after Miller's arrest
- Indiana State Police hold memorial for officers past and present
- Funeral for Officer David Tinsley held Monday
- American Legion Post #330 holds annual veteran memorial motorcycle ride
- Fort Wayne Staples store to close on March 16th
- Indiana police officer fatally shot
- FWCS holds annual lottery
- Rally held for Indiana hate crime laws