FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Police in Allen County held a memorial service to honor fallen officers Friday morning.
Fifty-three officers have died in the line of duty nationally this year. Most recently, a Terre Haute officer died last week after a shootout. Chief Steve Reed with FWPD said the death of one of the own always hits close to home.
"When an officer makes the ultimate sacrifice, and when we're gathered to remember them, it can be quite emotional," Chief Reed said.
This was the 16th year for the memorial ceremony.
- 16th annual police officer memorial ceremony held
- Naturalization ceremony held
- Memorial held for motorcycle crash victim
- Ceremony held to honor War of 1812 veteran
- Groundbreaking ceremony held for new Embassy and Conservatory connector
- July 16th set as "Anthony Wayne Day"
- April 16th is National Heatstroke Prevention Day
- Indiana State Police hold memorial for officers past and present
- Memorial held for April Tinsley two weeks after Miller's arrest
- Funeral for Officer David Tinsley held Monday