AKRON, Ind. (WFFT) - An 11-year-old boy who was hit by a truck at his bus stop back in October is on the road to recovery at his home in Akron.
Maverik Lowe was standing at his bus stop when police say 24-year-old Alyssa Shepherd hit him and three other kids. The crash killed Alivia Stahl and her two little brothers.
Jocelynne Lowe, Maverik's mother, said every day is a struggle since the crash.
"He had a broken neck, a broken back... He about lost his leg. It was barely hanging there and everything inside was out of it," Lowe said.
Lowe said Maverik remembers the crash well.
"He remembers everything. He was coherent the entire time. He told the EMTs his name. He told the EMTs what he's allergic to. He told the EMTs what my name was and that I was home," she said.
Lowe said Maverik was thrown 66 feet and landed face down.
"I just held his hand and said, 'Maverik, I love you.' And he kept telling me he couldn't breathe and he was tired. Well, his left lung was punctured," she said.
Maverik was airlifted to Fort Wayne and survived 12 hours of surgery.
Jocelynne had to make changes to the house to make it wheelchair accessible, and she said she's spent about $15,000 on renovations, and has stopped working to help Maverik.
"I'm a single mom. I get no help from the state or anything. I'm going to try to file for Social Security for him because he is disabled," she said.
Lowe feels confident Maverik will walk again.
"He can roll his legs back and forth. He's not like you or I, but he has all movement of everything," she said.
But she said he has a long road ahead of him.
"Maverik is angry and he's not his happy-go-lucky self. He's getting back to himself, but Maverik lost a lot that day. A lot."
Jocelynne does still have a Go Fund Me page set up for Maverik, and said she appreciates all the support from the public so far.
- 11-year-old bus stop crash victim on the road to recovery
- Bus stop crash victim to go home Friday
- Victims of toll road crash identified
- FWPD targeting school bus stop arm violators
- Bikers help victims of school bus bullying
- Drivers blocking road at bus stops potentially put more kids in danger
- Friends mourn motorcycle crash victim
- Grandfather of kids killed in Rochester bus stop crash pleading for new legislation
- Emergency crews respond to crash involving bus
- 3 siblings struck, killed by pickup truck at bus stop