The nine people killed in a mass shooting in a popular neighborhood in Dayton, Ohio, early Sunday include the shooter's sister, Assistant Chief of Police Matt Carper said.
Police killed the gunman, identified as 24-year-old Connor Betts, less than a minute after he opened fire with a .223-caliber high-capacity gun, killing nine and wounding 27, authorities said.
The victims include:
- Lois L. Oglesby, female, 27
- Megan K. Betts, female, 22
- Saeed Saleh, male, 38
- Derrick R. Fudge, male, 57
- Logan M. Turner, male, 30
- Nicholas P. Cumer, male, 25
- Thomas J. McNichols, male, 25
- Beatrice N. Warren-Curtis, female, 36
- Monica E. Brickhouse, female, 39
All of the victims were found in the Oregon district of Dayton where the shooting took place, Carper said. The family members of all nine have been notified, Carper said.
"All the victims are from our own backyard, too, so this is just an immense tragedy," Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said. "No matter where the victims are from, they're victims. Our hearts go out to the families. This is a Miami Valley tragedy."
Donna Johnson, aunt of Thomas McNichols spoke to CNN at a vigil Sunday. She said the father of four kids, ages 2 to 8, was a gentle giant who had lots of love.
"I will tell his kids that they had an amazing dad," Johnson said. "We're just always going to honor his memory with love."
Carper said police were still trying to understand the motivation of the shooter and whether the victims were targeted.
"Due to the very short timeline of violence, it's hard to imagine there was much discrimination in the shooting," he said. "It happened in a very short period of time."
- The gunman's sister was one of the 9 shooting victims in Dayton
- Exclusive video shows Dayton gunman Connor Betts in bar in the hours before shooting
- Shooter's sister among 9 dead in Dayton, Ohio; 27 others injured
- After the Dayton gunman opened fire, this man died in his son's arms
- Survivor describes gunman during shooting
- Attorney shares gunman's text before shooting
- Gunman dead in Alabama shopping mall shooting
- Texas school shooting: Sheriff says he doesn't believe any victims killed in crossfire with gunman
- Pittsburgh first responders: In the chaos, they treated shooting victims -- and the alleged gunman
- Virginia Beach gunman's family offers condolences to victims of office massacre