Police are investigating the death a newborn who may have been delivered and left behind a business in Fairfield, California.
Fairfield police officers responded Tuesday evening to a call about a woman who seemed to have just given birth to two infants.
The caller said the babies looked like they had been "birthed on the sidewalk behind the businesses," police said in a news release.
Once they arrived, authorities found the two newborns but not the mother.
One officer began lifesaving efforts on one of the babies.
"This infant was transported to a local hospital and is reported to be in stable condition at this time," police said.
The other infant had died prior to police arrival, police said.
Police searched the surrounding area and found a woman nearby who appeared to have recently given birth. She was detained and taken to a local hospital for treatment, police said.
- One newborn is dead and another is hospitalized after they were found behind a California building
- After mistakenly declaring newborn dead, New Delhi hospital loses license
- Newborns injured in hospital NICU, police investigating
- Newborn baby sets hospital weight record
- Mother arrested after dead newborn discovered in backyard
- Three 'baby' planets found forming around newborn star
- 94-year-old knits for newborn babies
- See first newborn planet caught on camera
- Newborn baby surrendered to fire department
- Mom flees wildfire with newborn and stranger