Korean boy band BTS will make history this week as the first ever K-Pop group to speak at the United Nations.
The septet will deliver a three-minute speech during the launch ceremony of UNICEF's global partnership Generation Unlimited at the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly in New York, a representative confirmed to CNN.
Arts and entertainment
Government organizations - Intl
Music and dance
Non-profit and NGO organizations
Government and public administration
Political donations and fundraising
Music groups and artists
In attendance will be diplomats and leaders including South Korean first lady Kim Jung-sook.
Formed in 2013, BTS is one of the most popular Korean bands in the world, with more than 13.3 million followers on Instagram.
In August, the group broke Taylor Swift's YouTube record for biggest music video debut, with more than 45 million views of "Idol" in its first 24 hours.
In May, the album "Love Yourself: Tear" became the first from a K-Pop group to top the US Billboard 200 chart, earning BTS the congratulations of South Korea's President Moon Jae-in.
The group previously worked with the UN on awareness and fundraising campaigns. In 2017, BTS joined with the Korean Committee for UNICEF to establish Love Myself, which works with UNICEF's global #ENDviolence against violence toward youth.
Sales from the band's album of the same name go toward the campaign, which has raised more than $1 million, according to its website.
- Boy band BTS to become first K-Pop group to address the United Nations
- K-pop group BTS scores worldwide success
- Boy band BTS becomes first K-pop group to top US Billboard 200
- Jewish group says K-Pop band BTS should apologize over Nazi-style hats
- K-pop group BTS debuts single at Billboard Music Awards
- K-Pop band BTS tells world youth to 'speak yourself' at UN
- BTS! We haven't seen boy-band fandom like this since the Beatles
- Watch K-Pop band's 'speak yourself' speech
- Acusan al grupo de K-pop BTS de usar símbolos nazis
- In the 'land of the immortals': Japan's centenarian pop band